Glaucoma In Childhood
|Glaucoma In Childhood|
Glaucoma refers to a grouping of optic vision diseases that convey mutual features, including elevated optic pressure, impairment to the optic nerve, as well as optic vision loss. There are many types of glaucoma. Childhood glaucoma refers to the presence of glaucoma inward children. Congenital glaucoma is the mutual term used for glaucoma diagnosed inward infancy or early on childhood as well as is also called pediatric or infantile glaucoma.
Childhood glaucoma is associated amongst physical changes inward the optic vision which are caused past times the high pressure. The increased fluid pressure level tin force on the optic nervus of eyes as well as drive cupping (an abnormal enlargement inward the optic disc area). If the pressure level remains also high for also long, the optic nervus fibers are damaged. Enlargement of the optic vision, cloudiness of the cornea and injury to the optic nerve are examples of changes that tin occur equally a lawsuit of glaucoma.
Glaucoma In Childhood: Facts as well as Figures
- Childhood glaucoma occurs inward i out of every 10,000 births of a kid inward the United States. In other parts of the world, fifty-fifty higher rates convey been reported. For instance inward Saudi Arabia, the incidence of childhood glaucoma has been noted to survive equally high equally i out of 2500 births. According to the Andhra Pradesh Eye Disease Study (APEDS), it occurs equally i inward 3300 alive births of the child.
- Isolated or primary congenital glaucoma accounts for unopen to 50 to 70% of all cases of congenital glaucoma. Most cases of pediatric glaucoma are diagnosed past times the historic catamenia of half dozen months or earlier, amongst 80% diagnosed past times the kickoff yr of life.
- In diagnosed cases of glaucoma, nigh 2/3rd of the patients are their male. In nigh 3/4th of all cases, glaucoma affects both eyes, which is termed bilateral.
- It has been estimated that unopen to 300,000 as well as to a greater extent than children are afflicted amongst developmental glaucoma worldwide as well as there are 2/3rd are already blind (WHO bulletin, 1994)
Pediatric glaucoma inward a kid is treated differently than adult glaucoma. Most patients take away operation for this as well as this is typically performed early. The aim of pediatric glaucoma operation is to trim IOP or intraocular pressure. Most babies who have prompt surgical treatment, long-term care, as well as monitoring of their visual evolution volition hit good as well as may convey a normal or nearly normal vision for their lifetime. Sadly, when childhood glaucoma is non recognized as well as treated promptly, the to a greater extent than permanent visual loss volition result.
What are the symptoms of glaucoma inward children?
Most people who convey glaucoma hit non bring out whatsoever symptoms until they start to lose some of their eyesight. As optic nervus fibers are damaged past times glaucoma, small-scale blind spots may laid out to develop. They unremarkably travel on on the side or inward their peripheral vision. Many people hit non bring out the blind spots until pregnant optic nervus impairment has already happened. If the entire nervus is destroyed, the individual becomes blind.
One type of glaucoma, called acuate angle-closure glaucoma, does hit noticeable symptoms. This is because in that place is a quick buildup of pressure level inward the eye. These are the most mutual symptoms of this type of glaucoma. However, each individual may sense symptoms differently. Symptoms may include:
- The blurred or narrowed plain of optic vision
- Severe hurting inward the eyes
- Haloes or “rainbows” about lights
- A headache
The symptoms of acuate angle-closure glaucoma may await similar other optic problems. Get medical attending correct away if you lot bring out symptoms inward social club to preclude blindness.