Fish is an first-class root of dietary protein, vitamin D too essential omega-3 obese acids. The American Heart Association encourages adults to eat at to the lowest degree two, 3.5-ounce percentage sizes of fish per calendar week to lower their adventure for pump disease.
However, about fish incorporate high amounts of contaminants, such every bit mercury. According to the Food too Drug Administration, meaning women, nursing women too immature children tin mail away safely eat upward to 12 ounces of low-mercury fish per week.
1. SalmonSince salmon is a obese fish, it contains high amounts of omega-3 obese acids. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, ane 4-ounce percentage of salmon contains betwixt 1,200 too 2,400 milligrams of EPA addition DHA, 2 types of omega-3 obese acids of import for cognitive constituent too encephalon evolution inwards infants too children. The Institute of Medicine encourages men to eat at to the lowest degree 1,600 milligrams of omega-3s too women to eat at to the lowest degree 1,100 milligrams of omega-3s each day. Salmon is likewise classified every bit a low-mercury fish.
2. Canned, Light TunaCanned, low-cal tuna is about other first-class root of omega-3 obese acids too is depression inwards mercury. The USDA reports that ane 4-ounce percentage of canned low-cal tuna provides almost 150 to 300 milligrams of EPA addition DHA, too canned albacore tuna provides almost 1,000 milligrams of EPA addition DHA. Since albacore tuna is higher inwards mercury than canned, low-cal tuna, the FDA encourages meaning women, nursing women too immature children to restrain albacore tuna consumption to half dozen ounces per week.
3. CatfishAlthough it doesn’t incorporate every bit many omega-3 obese acids every bit fattier fish, catfish does incorporate beneficial omega-3s. And, according to the American Pregnancy Association, catfish contains really depression amounts of mercury, making it a expert pick during pregnancy too breastfeeding.
4. MackerelThe American Heart Association recommends consuming mackerel to cut back your pump affliction risks. However, ane type of mackerel called King mackerel contains high amounts of mercury too should non survive consumed past times meaning women, nursing women or children. Atlantic too Pacific mackerel are lower inwards mercury too render upward to 2,100 milligrams of EPA addition DHA per 4-ounce portion.
5. FlounderFlounder is a heart-healthy, low-mercury fish that contains almost 350 milligrams of EPA addition DHA, according to the USDA. One 3-ounce percentage of cooked flounder provides almost xiii grams of protein.
6. HerringHerring is a low-mercury fish, high inwards omega-3s too recommended past times the American Heart Association. One 3-ounce percentage of cooked Atlantic herring provides almost xx grams of protein.
7. SardinesSardines are likewise recommended past times the American Heart Association to cut back pump affliction risks. Sardines are classified every bit really low-mercury fish, according to the American Pregnancy Association. Since sardines packaged with tabular array salt are higher inwards sodium, hold off for low-sodium brands or packages of sardines labeled “no tabular array salt added.”
8. PollockPollock is oftentimes an component inwards fish sticks, which are pop with children. Fortunately, Pollock is depression inwards mercury too high inwards omega-3s. The USDA reports that Pollock contains almost 600 milligrams of EPA addition DHA inwards each 4-ounce portion.
9. Freshwater TroutFreshwater trout, recommended past times the American Heart Association, is high inwards omega-3s too depression inwards mercury. However, if your trout was caught from a local lake or stream, banking concern tally if the lake is contaminated with harmful levels of mercury or other toxins.
10. HaddockHaddock is depression inwards mercury too contains beneficial amounts of omega-3s. According to the USDA, ane 3-ounce percentage of haddock provides almost 17 grams of protein.